RSTLN E not the best letter frequency mnemonic

ok so i know its not a mnemonic device at all, but i have always used RSTLNE as the general guideline for which letters were most common in english, because thats what wheel of fortune suggested. turns out its misleading, and there is a better one.

I happened upon the wikipedia page for the ampersand where i learned that it got its name from the way english schools used to recite the english alphabet, seen below:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ&

the ampersand on the end looks out of place, but its there because they would include that character as a letter. they also used to use the latin phrase 'per se' (meaning 'by itself') in front of the letters that could be words. so they recited the alphabet as "per se 'A'BCDEFGH per se 'I'JKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ and per se 'and'" and the last part very easily slurs to 'ampersand'. thats great. interesting story.

but the true purpose of this post is to make people aware of etaoin shrdlu. this ampersand business led me to the page of letter frequency in the english language, and i noticed it spelled an interesting name (ETAOIN) and when i did a search of this combination of letters the page for ETAOIN SHRDLU came up. this is about the order of the most frequent letters in the english language. this is great knowledge to have for word games, and apparently it is used as a character name in many literary works

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information! I was just watching good ol' wheel of fortune and wondered, "after RSTLNE I wonder what the next most frequently used letters are?" I am happy to find your post because now I can see those aren't the most used, just the ones that were most frequently picked by players. I will now pay attention to the letters SHRDLU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read long ago that the order was ETAONRISH. It's shorter but would make the literary version Etaon Shirdlu closer to reality. I suppose the frequency may have changed a bit over time.

    ReplyDelete